Catching My Kisses

   My children have the wonderful ability to be consistantly inconsistant. Charlie started a new day camp three weeks ago. For the first two and a half weeks at camp I literally had to peal him off of me in front of his counselors before I could walk out the door. Since Tali's camp starts an hour later, we'd often go play at the park on the same campus as his classroom. A few times we ran into his group coming out to sing songs. Every time he saw me he'd wave enthusiastically. I'd blow him a kiss and he'd "catch" it in his hands and put it on his cheek. He seemed so much more grown up than the boy I'd left an hour before.
   A couple of weeks ago I took the kids to a BBQ at Charlie's pre-school after camp. Both he and Tali ran around with other kids until dinner was ready. When the food was done I took Charlie with me to fix his plate. He picked out what he wanted while I held it and then we went back to the seat he had chosen next to his friend. I sat down on the other side of him ready to cut his food.
   He looked at me and said, "No Mommy, you can go sit with the grown ups." That morning had been no exception in the "pealing" department and now he didn't even want me around? I was taken aback. "Oh, " I said, "You mean you don't want me to sit with you?"
   "No Mommy," he repeated. "You can go sit with the grown ups."
   "Okay, " I said, shrugging my shoulders. I got up from the table and went to find Tali. I'm sure she'd love some help fixing her plate. I looked around and there she was sitting at a table with her friends and a full plate. She saw me coming towards her and waved me off.
   I wandered around not sure whether to be happy or sad. I thought maybe I should see if I can get them early acceptance to college. I'm obviously no longer needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Average Daughter

Oxygen Returns

Done with Diaper Duty