I am Proud of my kids

I am proud of my kids several times a day, every day. This isn't to say that I'm also not disappointed or frustrated with them from time to time, but I am ALWAYS proud of them, here's why:

I am proud of my daughter not for the A she brought home on her social studies test, but for her interest in learning about our state, and her willingness to study hard so that she can do her best.

I am proud of my son for taking responsibility for hitting another child, and accepting his consequences by spending the day with the principal without once begging not to have to do it and without tears.

I am proud of my daughter for  making up with her friend and forgiving the past and moving forward.

I am proud of my son for yelling, "I'm frustrated, " when he was angry with me, instead of throwing things across his room.

I am proud of my daughter when she makes cards for her cousins who lost their father much too early in their lives.

I am proud of my son when he helps take care of his friend's little brother on the school yard.

I am proud of my daughter when she begs me to try a new sport, comes home from the first practice and instead of whining that other girls are better she says, "It was fun and I made two new friends."

I am proud of my son when he gently holds his baby cousin and kisses the top of his head.

I am proud of my daughter when she is introduced to an adult and puts out her hand to shake theirs and says, "Nice to meet you."

I am proud of my son when his dad and I are sick and he comes to kiss our forehead to check for a fever and asks if we're feeling better.

I am proud of my daughter when she wants to raise money for an important cause by selling lemonade.

I am proud of my son when he becomes interested in a subject and picks out a book at the library so that he can find out more.

I am proud of my daughter when she saves up for something she wants, because she knows it means more to her if she pays for part of it then if it is just given to her.

I'm proud of my son when he gives his grandparents hugs and kisses.

I'm proud of my daughter when she apologizes to her grandmother after exploding at her for not understanding the math homework.

I'm proud of my son when he does what is asked of him at school.

I'm proud of my daughter when she says that her "high" for the day was that she got to spend it with her awesome grandparents who are the best in the world, and she says it in front of them!

I'm proud of my son when he tells me, "I love you, even when I'm mad at you I love you."

I'm proud of my daughter when she befriends the new girl at school.

I'm proud of my son when he says, "Mom, I need to tell you something, and I don't want to hurt your feelings."

I'm proud of my daughter when she showers my friend's elderly grandmother with love and attention even though she's never met her before.

I'm proud of my son when he goes up to anyone at a public playground and asks if they want to play.

I'm proud of my daughter when she makes the most of her part in a play whether it is big or small.

I'm proud of my son when he gives me a full confession at the end of the day of something that happened at school even when it doesn't make him look good.

I'm proud of my daughter when she helps her friends stick up for themselves.

I'm proud of my son when he admits to doing something wrong.

I'm proud of my daughter when she loses something and I say, "That's why we shouldn't take that out of the house, "and she says, "you're right," instead of arguing with me.

I"m proud of my son for telling me when he hears someone using swear words instead of repeating them.

I'm proud of my daughter when she protects her little brother.

I'm proud of my son when he tells me he loves his friends.

I'm proud of my daughter when she says that "everyone should get to marry whomever they want."

I'm proud of my son when he looks an adult in the eye and says, "hi."

I'm proud of my daughter when she shares her lunch with someone who forgot theirs.

I'm proud of my son when he cheers on his team mates in little league.

I am proud of my daughter when she entertains my aunt who has Alzheimers and isn't fazed by the fact that she doesn't remember her between visits.

I am proud of my son when he goes on his first camp overnight and not only doesn't cry to come home, but actually sleeps!

I am proud of my daughter when even though she was nervous the first and second summers of sleep away camp she jumped right in to the experience and now encourages others to go.

I am proud of both my children when instead of complaining that we don't celebrate Christmas or Easter, they ask if we can invite their friends to share in Chanukah and Sukkot.

I am proud of both my children when something doesn't go their way and we role play how it might work out better next time, and next time it actually works out!

I am proud of my children not for their accomplishments, but for their efforts, for their curiosity, their compassion towards others, their willingness to try new things, their expressions of love towards family and friends, learning from their mistakes and most importantly, just for being who they are right now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Average Daughter

Done with Diaper Duty

Oxygen Returns