Off to Summer Camp

Last summer Tali went to sleep-away camp for the first time. I knew it would happen eventually, and I was excited about it. For her. Nothing seemed appealing about not knowing where my daughter was sleeping or what she was doing all day for eight days. A year before she went I brought up the idea of her going away and she melted into sobs saying through her tears, "You mmm-ean I www-on't see you for eee-ight days?"

"Never mind sweetie, " I quickly said, "there's no rush, we'll wait until you're ready." At that point I thought we were still years away. The thought of her not ever going entered my mind, but I hoped that wouldn't happen. Richard and I both loved sleep away-camp. We still talk about our respective experiences, and it has always been our dream to send our children. Camp helped us grow up. While our moms stayed up with us the night before counting out the right amount of shirts, underwear and toiletries, once we got on that bus we were on our own.

No one reminded us to brush our teeth or wash our hands. We did have to clean our rooms, well in this case our cabins, but everyone had a job and we got to chat with friends while we cleaned. In terms of a bedtime, what could be better than a slumber party for three weeks straight? The icing on the cake for me was that even if I didn't eat my vegetables I still got dessert.

We both credit sleep-away camp for shaping out Jewish Identities. Praying together outside among the trees and the birds was something we looked forward to on a daily basis.  Was there anything more spiritual than Shabbat at sleep-away camp? Everyone dressed in white and we sang songs and danced Israeli dances until bedtime. I loved learning about Jewish culture through drama and sports and connecting to Israel through visits from the Tzofim (Israeli Scouts).  At the end of three weeks I packed up my suitcase on my own and reluctantly went home.

Last spring Tali found out her favorite cousin was going to camp, the very camp we'd talked about having Tali attend. "I want to go I want to go I want to go," was her response to this news. The rest is a blur, I went online and downloaded all the forms and sent them in. I found scholarship money to help us send her and dropped off the form for her doctor to sign. It all happened before any of us had time to think about whether she really was ready to go. Her grandparents took her shopping for clothes and we took her shopping for everything else. I filled out postcards and stamped them so that all she'd have to do is write a little something letting us know she was alive and well. As the date of departure grew closer Tali said, "Mom, I think you should let Charlie call me while I'm at camp because he's really going to miss me." Right, he's going to miss her.

Before I knew it we were at the bus stop with Tali's cousin and several other first time campers. We took pictures of us in front of the bus. We put all her luggage under the bus and then unable to avoid it any longer, we had to say goodbye to our precious baby who had just come out of the womb yesterday.
She hugged and kissed her daddy and half hugged her brother. She headed for me and I squeezed her tighter than I ever have. While her tiny body was hugging me tears were streaming down my face. When she pulled away I quickly wiped them and smiled.

"You are are going to have such a great time sweetie!" I said in my very best happy voice.
"I know I know, goodbye, I have to get a seat." And with that, she was gone, waving to us as the bus pulled away. I followed it with my eyes until it was out of site. It was one of my proudest parenting moments, and also one of my saddest.

Later that night while we were camping with Charlie I said, "It's Tali's first night away at camp, I hope she's okay." Richard laughed and said, "I think she's fine, I hope you're okay." 

It turns out I was okay, because this summer she is going to her dad's sleep away camp for two weeks. Good for her for being so brave! Good for us for being brave enough to let her go. In two summers it will be Charlie's turn to leave us and embark on a summer camp adventure. I've thought about how it will feel to have an empty nest years before anyone goes to college and I'm not sure I'm up to it, but I can't hold them back. I'll keep you posted.

Comments

  1. It's amazing how fast they grow up...I know people always say this but it's true. This is a really sweet story, Dani. I hope you are well and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Average Daughter

Oxygen Returns

Done with Diaper Duty