Valentines Day

  Ah Valentines Day. The fun holiday during my childhood when it meant homemade Valentines and cookie decorating. The dreaded holiday during college because I never seemed to be attached on February 14th and was either down in the dumps over a break-up or annoyed that all of my friends were with their significant others on that day. I do recall one fun "Anti-Valentines Day Party" where no couples were allowed.
  After graduation I ignored the holiday which was easy since I spent my first year as a college graduate in Israel. When I returned as an "official" adult the blackness of that holiday had dissipated and I went on with my life, that is, until I met Richard.
  Our first Valentines Day together was in 1998. He came up from LA to visit me for a romantic weekend. I surprised him with a night at a fancy hotel. He gave me a beautiful box shaped like a butterfly. We said "I love you" for the first time. I remember having a meal out and an annoying balloon man making us a cheesy balloon heart as we stared at the cute baby sitting at the table across from us.
   "So you guys want to have kids?" Annoying  Balloon man asked.  Since we'd only been dating 5 months and it was none of his business anyway, neither of us answered.
    Valentines Day 2008: While our beautiful children (then two and a half and five) are sleeping in the house, we clean a dead rat out of our driveway . As we sweep up the rat and dump him in the garbage (all the while making grossed out noises) we laugh and say, "Happy Valentines Day honey." Quite a change from the same day a decade ago, and I don't think either of us would have it any other way.
   While Richard and I both think Valentines Day is a silly Hallmark Holiday, it brings up wonderful memories.  This year, as  I decorated cookies with my children and helped my daughter make Valentines for her classmates I felt blessed that things have come full circle. As far as cleaning up the rodent in our driveway: There's no one else with whom I could complete that task who would laugh with me and understand how lucky we are to be doing it together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Average Daughter

Oxygen Returns

Done with Diaper Duty